Learn to Dive on Koh Lanta
Take the PADI Open Water Diver Course here on Koh Lanta, and open up a whole new exciting underwater world of adventure with an internationally recognised scuba diving certification.
If you've ever wondered what it's like to explore coral reefs, swim with turtles, or watch sharks hunting in the shallows, take the Open Water Diver course here on Koh Lanta with us!
What is the Open Water Diver Course?
The Open Water Diver Course is a beginner level scuba diving certification, during which, you'll learn how to be a safe diver, how to properly use scuba equipment and how to plan and execute dives. During the course, you'll also learn how to deal with problems, and how to help your buddy.
The Open Water Course consists of three main sections:
- Knowledge development to learn the theory and important concepts of scuba diving.
- Confined Water Dives conducted off the beach or in a swimming pool, where you'll learn all the important skills to be a safe diver.
- Complete the 4 Open Water qualification dives over a two day period. You'll explore coral reefs at some of our amazing dive sites, where you'll repeat and master the skills learned in confined water.
Once you've completed the Open Water Diver course, you'll have the knowledge and skills required to dive almost anywhere in the world.
How Deep Can I Go on the Open Water Course?
The PADI Open Water Diver course certifies divers up to 18m, 60 feet, which is perfect for exploring some of Thailand's best dive sites from Koh Lanta.
After you've completed the Open Water Course, you can sign up for the Advanced Open Water Course here on Lanta to improve your knowledge of the underwater world, learn lots of new diving skills, and get certified to dive up to 30m, 90 feet.
How big are the Open Water Course Groups?
Our experienced and professional PADI instructors teach in very small groups, with typically only one or two students with each instructor (maximum 3).
This means that we can provide the very highest level of service and personal attention for each and every student.
What is the Open Water Course schedule?
The PADI course is conducted over a 4 day period and normally runs as follows:
- Day 1: Morning, check-in with us at our dive shop @ Lanta Castaway Beach Resort between 10 am and 12 noon to complete the paperwork, diver medical, check equipment sizes, and receive the self-study materials.
- Day 1: Afternoon, 4 - 5 hours self-study with PADI materials at your resort or on the beach.
- Day 2: Morning, review diving theory with your instructor.
- Day 2: Morning/afternoon, confined water skills practice at the beach or in a swimming pool.
- Day 2: Evening, further 2 - 3 hours self study in the afternoon/evening.
- Day 3: Morning, open water dives 1 & 2 at Koh Haa, Koh Rok, or Koh Bida/Koh Phi Phi.
- Day 3: Afternoon, complete the diving theory & exam with your instructor.
- Day 4: Morning, open water dives 3 & 4 at Koh Haa, Koh Rok, or Koh Bida/Koh Phi Phi.
- Day 4: Afternoon, process your Open Water Diver Certification.
Day 2, 3 and 4 will normally start around 8 am, however the finish time depends very much on each individual student's pace of learning and confidence in the water.
Book online to save 10% on Koh Lanta diving trips and scuba courses on Koh Lanta.
What is the Open Water Course Theory?
The open water course theory consist of 5 knowledge development sections, each with it's own video to watch. We'll supply the course videos and knowledge review questions for you to complete at your resort, or on the beach.
The course theory will cover important topics, including the effects of pressure, safe diving practices, scuba diving equipment, the buddy system, and more.
Depending on your pace of learning, you can expect to spend between 60 and 90 minutes on each knowledge development section.
What is PADI E-Learning?
If you're short on time, or don't want to waste time with self study while on holiday, PADI E-learning allows student divers to complete the course theory online, before arriving on Koh Lanta.
Register for PADI E-learning and let us know when you will be visiting Koh Lanta.
Make sure that you select Dive & Relax Koh Lanta as your affiliated E-learning dive centre so that we can receive updates on your course progress and can process your PADI certification at the end of the course.
The PADI E-learning fee is AU $250, payable directly to PADI on their website when you register for the course theory.
Can I Try PADI E-Learning for free?
Email us with your full name at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll register you with PADI for a free introduction to the PADI Open Water Diver course.
Download the PADI Training App from your app store and try the PADI Open Water Diver E-learning material before purchasing the full course.
What's included in the Open Water Confined Skills Session?
The confined water session is conducted in shallow water, where you will learn and practise the skills necessary to be a competent and safe diver.
During the confined water session, you'll learn:
- Equipment assembly
- Pre-dive safety checks
- Mask and regulator clearing
- Alternate air-source use
- Buoyancy control
- Communicating using hand signals
- Ascent and Descent procedures
- How to help yourself and your buddy deal with problems
Where are the Open Water Course Dives?
The first day of open water dives begins with a thorough pre-dive briefing from your instructor followed by two open water dives to a maximum of 12M at one of the spectacular dive sites around Koh Lanta, such as Koh Haa, Koh Rok, or Koh Bida.
The second day of open water dives will be to a maximum of 18m, again at one of our amazing dive sites, Koh Haa, Koh Rok, or Koh Bida.
During each dive, you'll explore the extensive coral reefs with your instructor, perfecting your buoyancy, building your confidence, and discovering the wonderful marine life on the dive sites around Koh Lanta.
After returning to Koh Lanta in the early afternoon, you'll log the dives in your new dive log book - included in the course price.
What will I see during the Open Water Dives?
During your open water dives, you'll have a chance to see hundreds of different species of marine life around Koh Lanta at some of Thailand's best dive sites and coral reefs.
What is the Open Water Referral Course on Koh Lanta?
If you've already completed all of the course theory and confined water skills with your local dive shop at home, you only need to complete the 4 open water dives here on Koh Lanta to finish the course.
After completing the theory and confined water skills at home with your local dive shop, your instructor will give you an Open Water Diver Course Student Referral form which you will need to email to us before you book the final 4 open water dives here on Lanta.
How Long Does the Open Water Referral Course Take?
As long as you've completed all theory and confined water skills within the past few months, it only takes 2 days to complete the 4 open water dives with us here on Koh Lanta.
If it's been more than a few months since you completed the theory and confined water skills at home, we may ask you to repeat the confined water session with us, the day before before starting your open water dives.
How much does the Open Water Course cost on Koh Lanta?
If you book online before arriving on Lanta then we're happy to give you a 10% discount on our normal prices.
|Dive Course||Online Price||Walk-In Price|
|Open Water(standard 4 days)||฿13,050||฿14,500|
|Open Water E-Learning(3 days)||฿9,450||฿10,500|
|Open Water Referral(2 days)||฿9,450||฿10,500|
- Standard 4 day course includes PADI materials & PADI certification.
- E-learning option does not include PADI E-Learning fee AU $250.
- Free Equipment Rental.
- Experienced Instructors & Small Groups.
- Lunch & soft drinks while diving on the boat.
- Free resort transfers for north/west Koh Lanta on each day of diving.
- Does not include National Park Diving Fee: Adult ฿600 per day, Child: ฿400 per day.
How to Book the Open Water Diver Course on Koh Lanta?
Send us an email and let us know when you plan to visit Koh Lanta, how many people are in your group and when you would like to start the course.
We can then send you all the necessary information, answer your questions and tell you how to pay the course deposit online to confirm your Open Water Diver Course booking with us.
Book online to save 10% on Koh Lanta diving trips and scuba courses on Koh Lanta.
Register for PADI e-learning and let us know when you will be visiting Koh Lanta.